"That's the guy who gets his salsa from New York City."

1.19.2007

The nicest & most inconsiderate person I've ever met

Yesterday I woke up and a refrigerator had been placed at the side of the house, just outside of my room. Why has a refrigerator been placed at the side of my house you may wonder? Well it's probably because the side of my house, as well as a substantial chunk of my backyard, has recently been adopted as a storage space by a man and his family. His name is David, and he is the nicest & most inconsiderate person I've ever met.

I first met David about a month ago at my front door. Actually I met his kids first, who blankly stared in my face and wondered around my lawn as I answered the doorbell. A figure who could best be described as what Carrot Top would look like if he were a 47 year old Jewish man walked up to the door and with a hardy "Hello!" introduced himself. Now I should have known better and shut the door right then and there, but it was Sunday morning and I was watching a rather dull football game and I had no idea what to expect so I listened to the guy. Turns out David was interested in renting the house after my parents and I move out. I don't really want to divulge much more about that particular encounter. Suffice it to say that me and my mom soon found out David is a very nice Christian man who seems to love one sided conversations and has no idea how to read kind visual cues translating into "get out of my house." You know the type, but David is extreme. After he left our house that day my mom had 20 Christian DVD's, phone numbers, and an invitation to his home and his church.

Somehow this guy manages to talk the owner into not only renting him the house, but also letting him bring over a couple truck loads of backyard supplies to store in the corner of our backyard (with our permission of coarse cause we're kind people). We let it go on too long, and so did the unresponsive owner of the home after we called her. Jewish Carrot Top had brought over at least 8 or 9 truck loads when I noticed the fridge outside of my room. You're probably thinking why didn't we stop this guy earlier. We didn't really check on how much stuff was in the backyard, and we figured eventually he would stop. We were thinking he was too nice to abuse our kindness. Eventually we told the home owner it needed to stop, but it was not David's intention to stop at 8 or 9 truck loads...

Yesterday afternoon I'm photographing my car out in the driveway (to sell it online) and who do I see? Here he comes driving down the street waving and smiling at me. As he drives by he shouts, "Hello William Jr." (my dads name is William so I guess I'm William Jr.). His truck was full of coarse, but at least it wasn't towing a trailer this time. Then I turn to look back down the street. There is a 28 foot U-Haul coming my way (28 footers are the biggest you can rent), and yes, it stops right in front of my home. David even brought his son, a friend, and two Mexican workers to help him unload it all into my backyard. I was speechless.

No comments: